Friday, March 18, 2011

Oklahoma City 2011

I want to talk about Oklahoma City today...While Donna and I were traveling west we stopped at her sister Teresas house (my cousin) to shower, power nap and hit the road again...Donna asked me if I wanted to stop and see the OKC bombing site...Teresa had been a first responder being only 3 blocks away when it hit...I was hesitant about going to see it only because I wanted to be on the road to Patty but we decided that we would stop...We spent an hour there with Teresa walking us through the days events.
It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life...I will blog this with pictures and captions, taking you with me...



 
Each end of the block is blocked off by these monuments and the street is now filled with water...No access but on foot...


             Guarded 24/7 both on the ground and from the air...



There is a chair for every man woman and child that perished on that awful day...Big chairs for the adults and little chairs for the babies...Every chair has a name engraved in it and at night, the bottoms illuminate...








           This lonely man broke my heart as he sat on a loved ones chair, at times with his head in his hands...





                                                                 The Survivor Tree






                             The childrens playground, now forever closed...


 
 The teams wrote messages on the adjacent walls where they have remained for almost 16 years...





                    I like to call these the walls of love...So very touching


                                                      The rawness remains...

No comments:

Post a Comment