Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Night With Patty

   When Teresa and I returned to Pattys house after our romp around town I expected her to be resting...she'd just gotten out of the hospital, was weak, tired and sore from all of her medical boo boos...But nooooo, I walk into her room and her entire bed is covered in medical supplies and several of those little pink plastic wash bins that they give you in the hospital and she is walking around and organizing her stuff...Bandages in one, tapes in one, meds, etc...About 6 or 8 in all...I offered to help but she wouldn't have it. "No thank you, I got it," she says...when she gets done with that she proceeds to show me all of the things I've ever given her...Just a few, but she had them all there in her room...she has many pretty things in her room...When she posted to "PLEASE don't send "stuff", I was a little bummed as I like to send my loved ones little things from time to time, but now I can see why...Her room is stuffed with "stuff"...All beautiful and meaningful to her but she just has no more room to put anything...
    I took my shower and left her to her organizing...It was quiet in the house now, everyone had left but her, our mom, and I...We finally lay down and talk...girl talk, sister talk and then she gets back up...I don't question what she's doing, she leaves the room and comes back, lays back down and gets back up...again I don't question her. I'm laying there wondering why she is gone so long and suddenly CRASH! OMG she's fallen! (she had fallen earlier in the day)...I fly out of bed and she is standing in the kitchen with a broom in her hand...She was filling her water bottle with ice and half the bag had crashed to the floor...this time I didn't ask, I told her no no no, you are NOT cleaning this up, taking the broom from her...I called it our "Arizona Ice storm."  Mom had slept so soundly that she never even heard it. Maybe because she knew someone had Pattys back for the night.
    Patty is extremely independant. She moniters her own meds, takes care of her own treatments, nebulizer, bandage changes, etc and writes it all down with the times of day...It is a full time job for her but she wouldn't have it any other way...check out her blog at ..............
http://pateeta-shadesofblue.blogspot.com
    We finally lay down and fall asleep holding hands...I'm not sure if she got back up again or not as once I crashed, I crashed! I know she fears sleep and not waking up and she is weak as her thrush (is like a severe sunburn in the mouth and tongue caused mostly by meds) forbids her from eating more than a couple of bites of food at a meal. But she has a wonderful Hospice team and is going to ask her nurse about nutrition. Although she is very drugged throughout the day she manages to keep on top of things...She still has a child at home, well I should say young man and continues to mother him like she isn't even ill...The woman is plainly AMAZING and she is MY baby sister! Patty-Cake, I wanna be just like you when I grow up!
    The following morning I am leaving for home. We get up and have coffee and visit, loving, holding hands, sad that I have to go...My phone rings and it is Teresa..."Don't you DARE leave before I get there!" Of course I will wait for you Sissi...In the meantime Donna arrives to pick me up, she had stayed at Uncle Pats...We all hang out visiting for the last time...Me, loving on my sis and holding hands with my new found mom...Teresa gets there and it is a total lovefest...all of us girls, Patty, Donna, Teresa and mom and then Teresa pulls a ring out of no where, she kisses it, Patty kisses it and she places it on my finger..."It is a sister ring and we all wear one." I am FLOORED and happy and sad that I have to leave, all at once...I belong! We are family and they have welcomed me with open arms...Life has never been so good...
    The ring is called a Claddagh and it has a heart being held by 2 hands and topped with a crown...Teresa explains that as long as the point of the heart is facing my heart we are all joined...Here is my research on it...
    The Claddagh ring (Irish: fáinne Chladaigh) is a traditional Irish ring given as a token of love.
    The design and customs associated with it originated in the Irish fishing village of Claddagh, located just outside the city of Galway. The ring was first produced in the 17th century during the reign of Queen Mary II, though elements of the design date to the late Roman period.
    The Claddagh's distinctive design features two hands clasping a heart, and usually surmounted by a crown. The elements of this symbol are often said to correspond to the qualities of love (the heart), friendship (the hands), and loyalty (the crown). It lives on my left thumb and will never come off...I treasure my family and am still swooning from the love that has been given to me...I love you all...
    Good-byes have been said and Teresa and I are standing at the front door when a truck pulls up and a guy comes walking up to the house...Donna squeals and starts jumping up and down that it's Frank! OMG, the last sibling to meet! He is very busy in his work and I had given up on meeting him...
As he walks in the door we embrace each other and he takes a step back and says to Teresa, "now who is this?" They are all so used to the many visitors that Patty gets that he honestly doesn't know who I am.
Bless his heart, hug first, then ask questions...He finally makes his way to Pattys room where she has retreated...Going in to say the last good-bye Donna insisted on pictures...She took pics of the 4 of us, Teresa, Patty, Frank and I. (Rob and Sandy had already gone back to CA) When she was done I asked him if I could hug him again and of course, being a Higgins, I got a big ole bear hug...The circle is complete, we are one and they have lovingly pulled me in and embraced me...Wayyyyy overwhelming but still I keep it together (GOOD GIRL VIC!)
    Gotta run kids...Picture this and when I get the actual pic from Cuz, I will post it but here is Patty standing out front with everyone else as we leave...Do to swelling in her legs she has to wear those long white stockings that the hospital gives you...they are open at the toe but you are supposed to pull them over your toes...Not Patty! Nope, she creates her own style and has them pulled back, wearing flipflops and has purple polish on her toenails!  EPIC! I loved it...
    I hate it but the car has to be back and we barely have enough money to get home on...I am so proud of myself not only to be a part of this wonderful family but that I've kept my emotions in tact...
   We are backing out of the driveway and Donna yells out the window to them, "She's already crying..."  I'll be damned, I am...hadn't even noticed...But I manage to pull it together as Donna and I talk about our experience...
    (note: of course a full day AFTER we left my taxes had been deposited...If we hadn't been so darn tired we would have turned around and went back for another week...shit, damned IRS!)
   
    Teresa hanging onto the car so we can't leave...lol...and my precious ring...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment